Scripture Union Daily Guide 7th November 2020 Today Devotional
TOPIC: TRANSPARENCY WITH CHURCH FINANCES
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, I pray that you order my steps today through your word as I meditate on it.
Scripture: 2 Corinthians 8:16-24
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any other Biblical passage that can help me understand this passage better?
MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 7th November 2020
Financial pilfering is a persistent headache in many African congregations that has seen quite a good number of our brothers and sisters ending up spending time in prison. What a shame! Besides, this causes many believers to mistrust deacons and other leaders.
This often destroys the spirit of giving in our churches. Church funds need to be handled with utmost care and to the glory of God. Look at the measures Paul, his companions and the churches that were giving money put in place for the collection they were taking (vv.18–22).
Why did they make such careful arrangements about the collection (vv.20, 21)? Indeed, church finances need to be handled with transparency for the sake of God’s name and our Christian standing as well.
Misuse of church funds is equally bad for our reputation. There is a lot of money going into buying luxuries for church leaders instead of evangelism and taking care of the needy. It is good to ask ourselves, what would our Lord Jesus Christ use this money for before we expend it?
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• And so: We do not serve our God through affluence and wanton exhibition of obscene wealth.
• Oh God our Father, give me a heart that understands proper use of money in your service so that your name may be glorified.
• Pray and commit the work and studies of the coming week into God’s hand.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Zechariah 9:11
Read The Bible In One Year: Ezra 3–5; 2 Tim. 2
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 7th November 2020 – Transparency With Church Finances