Scripture Union Daily Guide 21st November 2020 – A Cry Of Devastation
You are reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide Devotional for Saturday 21st November 2020. Be inspired by today’s reading. God bless you!
TOPIC: A CRY OF DEVASTATION
Opening Prayer: Grant me grace dear Lord to apply what you will teach me today as I read this passage.
Scripture: Lamentations 3:1–18
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
MESSAGE: Pick out the things that the writer says he has experienced as afflictions from the Lord. Is he accusing God? He has reached the lowest point of his life (v.18). How can one person bear all these? Yet, it is not without reason.
God has made clear to mankind what the consequences of sin are (Genesis 2:17; Ezekiel 18:20; Romans 6:23). In dealing with the writer in this manner, one can therefore see aspects of God’s grace rather than punishment.
Nevertheless, the consequences of sin have devastating impact on the life of the sinner, including, but not limited to poor health (v.4), unanswered prayers (v.8), mockery and becoming a laughing–stock (v.14), lack of peace (v.17a), poverty (v.17b), hopelessness (v.18), among others.
Perhaps, it is worth reflecting on your life and walk with God. In what ways do you need to come to him in repentance? How can you avoid the afflictions that the rod of God’s wrath brings to us?
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Thought: Psalm 51:1–2
• Pray for nations, particularly’ those on our continent, that are suffering the ravages of war and political instability.
• Ask the Lord of grace for greater success in the coming week than in the passing week.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Psalm 22:11
Read The Bible In One Year: 2 Chron. 4–6; Luke 5:17–39
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 21st November 2020 – A Cry Of Devastation