Scripture Union Daily Guide 12th November 2020 – Credentials Of True Apostles
You are reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide for Thursday 12th November 2020 Devotional. Be inspired by today’s reading. God bless you!
TOPIC: CREDENTIALS OF TRUE APOSTLES
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, make me more like you through the power of your word as I meditate on it.
Scripture: 2 Corinthians 11:16-33
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 12th November 2020
Yesterday, we saw that Paul did not burden the Corinthians either with his upkeep or the needs of the ministry. He is therefore surprised that his beloved church allows itself to be abused, enslaved, forced to do things they did not want. People were taking advantage of them in many ways (v.20), yet, they did not in any way resist them.
He speaks sarcastically to them about it and shows them that while boasting is not good, he would do just that to shake the Corinthians into seeing what they needed to do (compare Proverbs 26:3–5). It is amazing that his credentials as a true servant of Christ is confirmed not by his exploits for the Lord but the things he suffered.
Read vv.21–33 again and compare the things he listed as the basis of his boasting with our current day teachings. What impressive credentials of a true apostle! This could only be absorbed by a genuine apostle sent by God himself.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• And so: What do you do when you meet difficulties as you serve the Lord and proclaim the gospel message? What do you learn from the sufferings of Paul as he went about establishing new churches?
Hymn: I Know The Love And Grace
1. I know the love and grace of Him whose heart
’Midst all my cares and sorrows bears a part;
Tho’ fears and passions strive to rule my will,
I know that Jesus loves and leads me still.
He leads me still, He leads me still,
Thro’out the storm and darkness of the night;
I walk by faith, for ’tis His will,
And well I know that Jesus leads me still.
2. When trials come, with doubts a thousand strong,
When dreary grows the way, and dark, and long,
His whispered words thro’ all my being thrill,
For then I know He loves and leads me still.
• Grant, O heavenly Father that our joy will not be in what we get but what we give in our service to you.
• Pray against sexual exploitation and religious intimidation in IDP/refugee camps; pray for the Christians among them to withstand such pressures; also ask for adequate provision and protection in these facilities.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Obadiah 1:17
Read The Bible In One Year: 1 Chron. 7–9; Luke 1:21–38
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 12th November 2020 – Credentials Of True Apostles