DCLM Daily Manna 16th November 2020 Devotional – The Enemy Within
You are reading Today’s DCLM Daily Manna Devotional for Monday 16th November 2020 written by Pastor W.F Kumuyi. Be inspired by today’s reading. God bless you!
TOPIC: THE ENEMY WITHIN
TEXT: Acts 11:1-18
1. And the apostles and brethren that were in Judaea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God.
2. And when Peter was come up to Jerusalem, they that were of the circumcision contended with him,
3. Saying, Thou wentest in to men uncircumcised, and didst eat with them.
4. But Peter rehearsed the matter from the beginning, and expounded it by order unto them, saying,
5. I was in the city of Joppa praying; and in a trance I saw a vision, A certain vessel descend, as it had been a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me;
6. Upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
7. And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat.
8. But I said, Not so, Lord; for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.
9. But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
10. And this was done three times; and all were drawn up again into heaven.
11. And, behold, immediately there were three men already come unto the house where I was, sent from Caesarea unto me.
12. And the Spirit bade me go with them, nothing doubting. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered into the man’s house;
13. And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;
14. Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.
15. And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
16. Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
17. Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
18. When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.
KEY VERSE: “And when Peter was come up to Jerusalem, they that were of the circumcision contended with him.” – Acts 11:2
MESSAGE: DCLM Daily Manna 16th November 2020 Devotional
Hostility or antagonism to the spread of the gospel of Jesus Christ does not always come from those who vehemently oppose the Cross. It can emerge, unpremeditated from within, as it once did in the early Church between Peter and the brethren.
Following a vision and charge from the Lord, Peter had headed for Caesarea to meet Cornelius, a centurion, who had also been directed by the Lord to send for the apostle. Cornelius was a devout man who “feared God with all his house, (and) gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway”.
He however lacked the salvation experience. Being devout and giving alms without Christ as one’s Lord and Saviour is not salvation. Hearing Peter preached, Cornelius and his household and friends accepted Jesus as their Saviour and Lord. They also got baptised in the Holy Spirit and in water.
But when some brethren in Judea heard of this miraculous conversion of the Gentiles, they contended with Peter. It was opposition from the least expected quarters! Eventually, when Peter opened their eyes to what God revealed to him, “they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life”.
Those who resist us as we obey the demands of the Great Commission will come in different shapes: the brethren, outsiders, indifferent family members, etc. We must be watchful at all times to overcome these challenges so we do not lose the souls that should be saved.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: The enemy within is more lethal than the one without.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Ezekiel 18-21
Thank you for reading Today’s DCLM Daily Manna 16th November 2020 Devotional – The Enemy Within