Scripture Union Daily Guide 28th October 2020 Devotional Today Message
TOPIC: THE HEART IS DECEITFUL
Opening Prayer: Lord, let the light of your word shine into my life as I meditate on your word.
Scripture: 1 Kings 12:25-13:10
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 28th October 2020 Devotional
We saw yesterday that God stopped Rehoboam’s military scheme to regain the northern kingdom through Shemiah’s message, a command that Rehoboam obeyed and thus avoided loss and embarrassment. Through this, God was taking care of Jeroboam’s interest in a way that was unknown to him.
Yet, he started making arrangements to look after his own interest at the expense of the worship of that same God (vv.27, 28&31). Thought and fear of insecurity (v.26) led to a deluge of idolatry in Jeroboam’s life and that of his followers.
He was so preoccupied with the desire to maintain power that he forgot the condition and promise God had given through the prophet (11:37–38). Fear goes contrary to faith in God. In 13:1–10 we see a beautiful example of a man of God who is courageous, and sensitive to God’s word. It was a risky business to tell off Jeroboam about his idol worship.
It is no wonder that Jeroboam attempts to seize the young prophet (v.4). Notice the double results. Wish there were more of such Christian leaders today, who will prophetically speak against the evil deeds of our rulers. Such action requires courage as this young prophet demonstrated. See John 12:25.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• And So: It is through vital relationship with Christ and through faith in Him that we have the boldness to stand for Him.
• Thank you for the promise to be with us O Lord. Help me to put my trust in you always.
• Pray against the syndrome of sit–tight leadership in some countries.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Psalm 40:13
Read The Bible In One Year: 2 Sam 12-13; 1 John 3
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 28th October 2020 Devotional – The Heart Is Deceitful