Scripture Union Daily Guide 19th October 2020 Today Devotional
TOPIC: THE MINISTRY OF RECONCILIATION
Opening Prayer: Oh Lord, fill me with the power of the Holy Ghost as I study your word.
Scripture: 2 Corinthians 5:11-21
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• Is there any command for me to obey?
MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 19th October 2020
Following yesterday’s reading (5:10), today’s passage opened with,’therefore’, highlighting the effect this should have on us (v.11). Since we know that God’s judgment must surely come, we should diligently carry out God’s work with sincerity. Maintaining pure motive in ministry is never easy.
Self–interest, pride, personal gain and other such things often pollute our Christian service. We must strive to cultivate the kind of transparency that Paul talks about, so we are able also to say, “what we are is plain to God and to the conscience of fellow men”.
Read vv.12–13 again and note that Paul, in contrast to the false teachers, was not boasting about himself or ministry. He was rather, with sincere heart, emphasizing more on his transparency in ministry. Note also how the believers’ identity with Christ is expressed in vv.14–17. Christ’s death brought new life to us. We are dead to the old nature.
The life we live is the life of Christ. Vv.17 is a classical description of our salvation. Salvation is in Christ alone. It is open to all. It is a total transformation and it is a radical change of allegiance. However, it also comes with the responsibility to tell others of Christ with wholehearted commitment as his ambassadors (vv.19–21).
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• What Next? We have been saved to serve. How are you serving? What are the motives for your Christian service (Matthew 6:24)?
• Father, help me to faithfully carry out this ministry that you have committed into my hand.
• Thank God for His love, making the way for the gospel train to keep moving on in spite of oppositions. Pray against laws in Europe, U.S.A. and Canada that are repressing Christians, under the false guise of freedom, diversity and inclusiveness.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Psalm 127:2b
Read The Bible In One Year: 1 Sam. 19-21; 2 Peter 3
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 19th October 2020 – The Ministry Of Reconciliation