DCLM Daily Manna 5th October 2020 Devotional written by Pastor W.F Kumuyi
TOPIC: THE SOLID FOUNDATION
TEXT: Matthew 7:24-29
24. Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock;
25. And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not; for it was founded upon a rock.
26. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand;
27. And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell; and great was the fall of it.
28. And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine;
29. For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
KEY VERSE: “Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock.” – Matthew 7:24
MESSAGE: DCLM Daily Manna 5th October 2020 Devotional
Fine architectural design and colourful painting may add beauty and aesthetic value to the external look of a building but the durability of the structure is determined by the strength of its foundation. The capacity of any building to withstand certain climatic pressures – the wind, the rain and other storms lies on the quality of its foundation.
Practical obedience to God’s word, not just hearing it, is comparable to building a house upon a rock. Superficial Christianity is like a pack of cards that crumbles. So also is a building that has no solid foundation.
Christianity is not an assembly of mere professors of religion but of regenerated people empowered to obey the word of God. Jesus said unequivocally that “whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them…” (verse 24) will survive the storms of life that is the lot of all men the world over.
The Christian journey is not a bread and butter affair. The rain, flood and winds of every day life might descend upon our Christian life by way of trials and temptations. When it does, will you stand or fall?
Our responsibility as believers includes assisting others to watch over their lives to ensure conformity to the standard of the word of God. We must do so as we heed the noble words of Apostle Paul: “But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway” (1 Corinthians 9:27).
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: The sinking sand sustains no weight.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: James 1-5
Thank you for reading Today’s DCLM Daily Manna 5th October 2020 Devotional – The Solid Foundation by Pastor W.F Kumuyi