Scripture Union Daily Guide 30th September 2020
TOPIC: LET US BE ALERT
Opening Prayer: I open my heart to meditate on your word, teach me your ways oh Lord.
Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 5:1–11
• Is there any prayer for me to remember?
• Is there any other Biblical passage that can help me understand this passage better?
TODAY’S MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 30th September 2020
Many spend their time trying to predict the time the Lord will return. Paul uses two illustrations to show that such action is an exercise in futility (vv.2–3). The Bible says clearly that Christ will come suddenly and unannounced. No one knows or can tell the date and time of his return.
Only God, the Father knows the time he has determined (see Matthew 24:36). If then we do not know when Jesus will come back, how can we be ready for him (vv.5–6, 8)? Our Lord expects us to be walking in the light, alert and sober, then the day will not meet us unprepared.
How do we walk in the light? One simple principle is to engage only in that which will not make us ashamed when the Lord returns. Cf. Luke 21:34–36. The mention of armour (v.8) suggests that as pilgrims, we are engaged in a warfare.
Satan, our enemy, does not want any of us to be ready for that day. He will do everything in his power to discourage us. Therefore, we need God’s armour. See Ephesians 6:10–17 for a fuller description of this armour.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• And So: Live each moment and everyday as if Christ is coming the next minute.
• “Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!”
• Pray for the political leaders of your country to imbibe the virtues of truth, honesty and compassion for their citizens.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Numbers 10:35
Read The Bible In One Year: Ezek. 27–29; John 14
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 30th September 2020 – Let Us Be Alert