Scripture Union Daily Guide 2nd September 2020 – Qualifications For Church Leadership
TODAY’S TOPIC: QUALIFICATIONS FOR CHURCH LEADERSHIP
OPENING PRAYER: Dear Lord, expose me to your truth as I read your word in Jesus name.
SCRIPTURE: 1 Timothy 3:1–16
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any command for me to obey?
TODAY’S OUTLINE: DAILY GUIDE 2ND SEPTEMBER 2020
How did Paul describe the church in v.15? To say that the church is the pillar and foundation of the truth means that the church is the custodian of God’s truth and thus should set example of what is right by her systems, ethos and practices.
For this to happen, leaders in the church must be different from those of the world. Go through vv.2–12 again and take note of the qualifications for leaders enumerated by Paul. How many did you find? Are the criteria used for choosing leaders in our churches today close to these? God is still recruiting leaders for his church.
Would you be one of those God can choose? Some people feel that it does not matter how they live their lives since they are not leaders. Take note that whatever disqualifies people from leadership in the church could also disqualify them from eternity with Christ. Meeting these standards may look tough for us, but the secret lies in following the footsteps of Jesus (Philippians 2:5–8; Hebrew 12:2).
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• What Next? Do you feel that you are not fit to lead God’s people? What steps would you take to become worthy of being called to God’s service.
• Dear Lord, please purge your church of leaders that are bringing shame and disrepute to your name. Help the church to truly be the pillar and foundation of the truth in the world.
• Pray for the educational needs of the children of missionaries.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with John 20:22
Read the Bible in one Year
Psalms 140–142; 2 Cor. 12
Thanks for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 2nd September 2020 – Qualifications For Church Leadership. Please share this with other people.