Scripture Union Daily Guide 23rd September 2020 Today message
TOPIC: God’s Word: The Perfect Guide For Life
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, I request that you help me to encounter you as I meditate on your word.
Scripture: Psalm 119:1–24
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
Psalm 119 is uniquely about the Scripture. It is the longest chapter in the Bible. It is a song about God’s Word intricately composed into 22 stanzas that reflect all the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet. The uniqueness of this Psalm may indicate the crucial position which God expects his word to occupy in our lives. The Psalmist uses many names for the word of God.
Check the following verses for eight of such names─ vv.1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 13, 9 & 15. What does each of these teach us about the role of God’s Word in our lives? In spite of contaminating influences in our world, we can stay pure and holy by studying, memorising and obeying God’s word (vv.9–11; cf. Psalm 1:2). Although we are strangers on earth, God’s word can guide us through life successfully (vv.18–19).
Notice how the Psalmist goes back and forth between exhortation, affirmation and prayers to God. We also need to speak God’s word to ourselves, claiming the promises therein for ourselves, and praying them back to God. God’s word should be our delight (vv.20, 24).
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• So What? What practical steps will you take to hide the word of God in your heart (v.11)?
• Thank you Lord, for giving me your word. Help me to be more yielded and obedient to it daily, so that I can derive maximum blessings from it.
• Praise God for who He is ─ the King of kings, Almighty, Holy and Righteous, all Powerful, Unchangeable, Kind and Merciful beyond measure, beautiful for every situation.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Isaiah 45:7
Read the Bible in one Year
Ezk. 11–13; John 10:24–42