Scripture Union Daily Guide 21st September 2020 Today Monday
TODAY’S TOPIC: KEEP YOUR PROMISES!
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, may the entrance of your word bring light and life to all I will do today.
Scripture: 2 Samuel 21:1–14
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
TODAY’S MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 21st September 2020
What good example from David is there for us in v.1? Where is the first place you go, when you have troubles? The Gibeonites were descendants of the Amorites who have lived among the Israelites since the time of Joshua because Israel made a covenant not to kill them (Joshua 9:16–20).
Why did Saul try to wipe them out (v.2)? Notice the consequences of his over zealousness in vv.1&5–9. We live in days when promises, agreements, contracts and covenants are often trivialized, and breaking them is usually justified. Saul’s action teaches us that breaking promises can have grave consequences on us and perhaps on posterity.
On the contrary, note David’s action in v.7 and why. It is good to be zealous for God, but our zeal should be properly guided by knowledge. Promises are a solemn thing (Ecclesiastes 5:5–6), and once made, it is obligatory for us to keep our words (Numbers 30:1–2). Rizpah displayed an amazing love of a mother for her children even though they were dead.
Take note that her action prompted David to give proper burial to King Saul and his descendants (vv.10–14).
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• So What? Have you broken any promises you made to your spouse, business partners, or even God? Retrace your steps today and ask God to forgive you.
• Ask for grace and courage that you need to keep to your promises henceforth. Meditate on Psalm 15:1–4.
• Pray for CAPRO, CMF and other missionary organizations for provisions and fruitful missions.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Isaiah 45:5
Read The Bible In One Year: Ezek. 5–7; John 9:24–41
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 21st September 2020 – Keep Your Promises!