Scripture Union Daily Guide 19th September 2020 Today Saturday
TODAY’S TOPIC: BEWARE OF JEALOUSY
Opening Prayer: Dear Lord, make me more like you through the power of your word as I meditate on it.
Scripture: 2 Samuel 20:1–13
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
Just how destructive can jealousy be?
TODAY’S MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 19th September 2020
Notice how the disagreement that started as petty tribal jealousy between the people of Israel and Judah (19:41–43), turned out to become a full–blown rebellion (vv.1–2).
Why did Joab kill Amasa, his cousin, in cold blood (vv.7–10; c.f. 17:25)? Joab must have been harbouring jealousy and hatred against Amasa from the time David promised to make him the commander of the army, even though this was a mere political compromise to win those who followed Absalom over to his side (19:13). Jealousy always goes with emotional feelings of anger, resentment, envy, selfishness and revenge, and can lead to murder (See Genesis 4:1–8).
We need to be careful and watch out for opportunists, like Sheba, who fuels division in the body of Christ for their selfish interests, instead of looking for ways of brokering peace. We also need to search our own hearts from time to time to ensure we are not jealous of others for whatever reason. Jealousy is one of the works of the sinful nature against which the bible warns (Galatians 5:19–21).
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Reflection: How do you feel when others around you seem to be making progress faster than you are doing?
• Deliver me, dear Lord, from a jealous spirit. Help me to appreciate other people’s gifts while thanking you for that with which you have endowed me.
• Thank God in anticipation of the dawn of a productive and happy week.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Isaiah 43:12
Read The Bible In One Year: Ezek. 1–2; John 8:28–59
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 19th September 2020 – Beware Of Jealousy