Scripture Union Daily Guide 12th September 2020 Devotional
TODAY’S TOPIC: THE COUNSEL OF THE LORD SHALL STAND
Key Verse: “The counsel of the Lord shall stand”. May my heart, O Lord, be receptive to your word as I meditate on it. 2 Samuel 17:1–14
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
TODAY’S MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 12th September 2020
Imagine that you were David and twelve thousand specially chosen soldiers were coming for you in the night, in an unprepared, weary and weak state! It will take only a miracle to escape such an attack (vv.1–3). Advice from a renowned counsellor like Ahithophel was a sure guarantee for success.
Politicians, business organisations, the United Nations and even rich nations of the world pay heavily to hire the services of such top–ranking experts to help them achieve their goals. However, Ahithophel’s counsel was not taken. Why (v.14 cf. Proverbs 21:30; Psalm 33:10–11)?
Read vv.5–13 again and observe Hushai’s role in frustrating Ahithophel’s counsel.Hushai was David’s friend who remained in Jerusalem as a mole in Absalom’s camp (see 15:32–36). When the opportunity came to act, he wasted no time to seize it. God needs us as his friends to frustrate the counsel of the devil upon this generation.
But we can only succeed if we do not forget God’s purpose for our lives, and if we are sensitive and courageous to seize every opportunity that God brings our way to frustrate the devil’s plans. Proverbs 19:21 says God’s counsel must prevail at last.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• So What? How can you, in practical ways, use your position and privileges to stop satanic agenda over your country and instead promote God’s agenda?
• Dear Lord, may I never forget your purpose for placing me where I am now. Help me to recognise opportunities to further your kingdom and seize them.
• Ask the Lord of grace for greater success in the coming week than in the passing week.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Matt. 16:19
Read The Bible In One Year: Judges 16–18; John 5:25–47
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 12th September 2020 – The Counsel Of The Lord Shall Stand