Scripture Union Daily Guide 11th September 2020
TODAY’S TOPIC: LEAVE VENGEANCE FOR GOD
Opening Prayer: “Grant me depth of insight, revelation and knowledge as I meditate on this passage, O Lord”.
Scripture: 2 Samuel 16:1–23
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any command for me to obey?
TODAY’S MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 11th September 2020
It was a time of multiple troubles for David ─ betrayal, deception, insult, disgrace, etc. Sometimes we find ourselves in situations similar to David’s. Such times are times of revelation. We identify those who are for us and who are not.
However, it is important that we are able to put our emotions under control at such a time. Ziba’s gesture (vv.1–4) was timely and refreshing. However, it was generosity with strings attached. Ziba actually lied to David against Mephibosheth (see 19:24–30), and David fell for the deception.
What can we learn from this? Notice David’s reaction to Shimei’s open show of hatred (vv.5–13). An African adage says, “Once a big trouble knocks you down, smaller ones will climb on you too”. What do you think of Shimei’s allegations against David? David’s patience under this trial was exemplary and Christlike.
He knew the Lord would avenge him at the right time (1 Peter 2:21–23). Absalom sleeping with his father’s concubines (vv.20–23) was a fulfilment of prophecy against David (see 12:11–12). Be careful because how you live today can bring problems tomorrow! Hushai proved a true friend indeed (vv.15–19).
- ⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Reflection: Are you currently facing unfounded allegations and unwarranted hatred? What would you do in line with today’s lessons?
• Dear Lord, grant me grace to be patient under trials and to leave vengeance to you.
• Pray for those who also communicate the gospel some other ways ─ TV program, Radio Broadcasting, Drama/Film Productions, and Internet Publishing.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with John 10:27–29
Read The Bible In One Year: Judges 13–15; John 5:1–24
Thank you for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 11th September 2020 – Leave Vengeance For God