DCLM Daily Manna 1st October 2020 Today Devotional written by Pastor W.F Kumuyi
TOPIC: TRUE FREEDOM
KEY VERSE: “If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.” – John 8:36
TEXT: John 8:30-36
30. As he spake these words, many believed on him.
31. Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
32. And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
33. They answered him, We be Abraham’s seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
34. Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
35. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever; but the Son abideth ever.
36. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
MESSAGE: DCLM Daily Manna 1st October 2020 Devotional
In many parts of the world today, many kinds of armed struggles are going on by “freedom fighters”, militants, cults and even terrorists. Each group is seeking “freedom” in one form or the other. It may be political, resource control, or for religious purposes.
In our text, our Lord Jesus Christ, while addressing those who had just believed on Him, commanded them to “continue in (His) word”, so as to know the truth which would set them free. He alluded to the fact that a sinner is like a slave who cannot set himself free. Only the Son can make anyone to “be free indeed”.
Freedom can be seen from different perspectives. For instance, a sick person goes to the doctor because he wants freedom from sickness. A person with a case in court goes to a lawyer to get good representation so as not to go to jail and lose his freedom. People go to school to learn, to know how to read and write and be free from ignorance. But as the Lord Jesus explained, the greatest kind of freedom which is only given by Him is the freedom from sin.
Freedom from sin is the forgiveness of one’s sin which makes a person to be a child of God. “Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered” (Romans 4:7). The blessedness of reconciliation with God through the forgiveness of one’s sins is a gift that comes as a result of the death and resurrection of Christ.
All men have fallen through Adam but Jesus Christ, the second Adam through His substitutionary sacrifice “taste(d) death for every man” – every man that believes. Jesus remains the way, the only way to gain access to God and to heaven. To attain this true freedom therefore, a sinner must repent of all sins and receive Christ as Saviour.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Knowing Christ as Lord and Saviour is true freedom.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Song 5-8
Thank you for reading Today’s DCLM Daily Manna 1st October 2020 Devotional – True Freedom by Pastor W.F Kumuyi