Scripture Union Daily Guide 1st September 2020 – The Prayer Ministry of the Church
TODAY’S TOPIC: THE PRAYER MINISTRY OF THE CHURCH
OPENING PRAYER: Grant me grace dear Lord to apply what you will teach me today as I read this passage.
SCRIPTURE: 1 Timothy 2:1–15
• What does the passage teach about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit?
• Is there any command for me to obey?
TODAY’S OUTLINE: DAILY GUIDE 1ST SEPTEMBER 2020
Prayer is a fundamental duty of the church. In fact, a prayerless Church is a dead Church. What four elements of prayer did Paul give to Timothy and for what categories of people are we to pray (vv.1–2)? Some people gather in church to pray against the “wicked” and their “enemies”. How do such prayers fit in with v.4?
Our prayers should be in line with God’s will and for the salvation of every soul; otherwise it will be against God’s own very purpose. Take note that “everyone” (v.1) includes those who set themselves against God and his Kingdom.
There are troubles in many countries of Africa and the world that demand our prayers. The example of some saints of old shows that our prayers can greatly impact our nations (Abraham ─ Genesis 18:20–26; Moses ─ Deuteronomy 9:18–26; Elijah ─ 1 Kings 17:1, 36–45; James 5:17).
If we fail in this God–given obligation, we should not blame our leaders for failing in their roles and we should not be surprised that our societies are going morally bankrupt. What are some requirements for acceptable intercession in vv.8–10?
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• So what? How are you participating in the prayer ministry of the church? Choose a day of the week in which to pray for others and your nation (if you do not have one before).
• Take time to pray for the political and spiritual leaders of your nation. Also pray for the salvation of sinners.
• Pray for the Church to spend money in a way that will best honour God.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Acts 26:18
Read the Bible in one Year
Psalms 137–139; 2 Cor. 11:16–33
Thanks for reading Today’s Scripture Union Daily Guide 1st September 2020 – The Prayer Ministry of the Church. Please share this topic with other people.