DCLM Daily Manna 19th June 2020 Devotional – Sudden Death, written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi
TODAY’S TOPIC: SUDDEN DEATH
KEY VERSE: “And his servants arose, and made a conspiracy, and slew Joash in the house of Millo, which goeth down to Silla.” – (2 Kings 12:20)
TEXT: 2 Kings 12:17-21
17. Then Hazael king of Syria went up, and fought against Gath, and took it; and Hazael set his face to go up to Jerusalem.
18. And Jehoash king of Judah took all the hallowed things that Jehoshaphat, and Jehoram, and Ahaziah, his fathers, kings of Judah, had dedicated, and his own hallowed things, and all the gold that was found in the treasures of the house of the LORD, and in the king’s house, and sent it to Hazael king of Syria; and he went away from Jerusalem.
19. And the rest of the acts of Joash, and all that he did, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Judah?
20. And his servants arose, and made a conspiracy, and slew Joash in the house of Millo, which goeth down to Silla.
21. For Jozachar the son of Shimeath, and Jehozabad the son of Shomer, his servants, smote him, and he died; and they buried him with his fathers in the city of David; and Amaziah his son reigned in his stead.
MESSAGE: DCLM Daily Manna 19th June 2020 Devotional
General William Nelson, a union general in the American Civil War, was consumed with the battles in Kentucky when a brawl ended up in his being shot in the chest. He had faced many battles but the fatal blow came while he was relaxing with his men. As such, he was caught fully unprepared.
As men ran up the stairs to help him, the general had just one phrase, “Send for a clergyman; I wish to be baptized.” He never had time as an adolescent or young man. With only minutes left before he entered eternity, the one thing he cared about was preparing for eternity. He wanted to be baptised. Thirty minutes later he was dead.
King Joash in our text took all the hallowed things dedicated by himself and his fathers, together with all the gold in the treasuries of the house of the Lord and in the kings house, sent them to Hazael, king of Syria, as a present to turn him away from Jerusalem and avoid possible death in war with the invading nation. But death still came from where he least expected it – from his servants. They made a conspiracy and slew him while he was in the house at Millo. Joash had forsaken the Lord.
Death is inevitable; it is described as a necessary end. Some people, like Joash may escape or avoid situations they consider could endanger their lives, only to fall victim to death unexpectedly.
We should live as if death can come at any time. Living so wickedly like Joash carries a heavy penalty. And going into eternity without the opportunity to have one’s sins forgiven is very terrible. Giving one’s life to Christ guarantees forgiveness, peace and a new life.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Life is short and death is certain.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: 1 Kings 1-2
Thanks for reading DCLM Daily Manna 19th June 2020 Devotional – Sudden Death, written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi. Please share this with others.