Open Heaven 21st March 2020 Devotional – The Fire 3 written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye
TODAY’S TOPIC: THE FIRE 3
“John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose; he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire.” – (Luke 3:16)
READ: 1 Kings 18:31-38 (KJV)
31. And Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, unto whom the word of the LORD came, saying, Israel shall be thy name;
32. And with the stones he built an altar in the name of the LORD; and he made a trench about the altar, as great as would contain two measures of seed.
33. And he put the wood in order, and cut the bullock in pieces, and laid him on the wood, and said, Fill four barrels with water, and pour it on the burnt sacrifice, and on the wood.
34. And he said, Do it the second time. And they did it the second time. And he said, Do it the third time. And they did it the third time.
35. And the water ran round about the altar; and he filled the trench also with water.36. And it came to pass at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel, and that I am thy servant, and that I have done all these things at thy word.
36. And it came to pass at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel, and that I am thy servant, and that I have done all these things at thy word.
37. Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou art the LORD God, and that thou hast turned their heart back again.
38. Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.
MESSAGE: Open Heaven 21st March 2020 Devotional
In (1 Kings 18:38), the fire consumed the water. In this context, water represents tears and sorrow. The Holy Spirit is the Comforter who licks up your tears and gives you comfort. For all those tears you shed at night behind closed doors, God sees you and He will send His Holy Spirit to comfort you. Note that Elijah had purposely asked that water be poured on the sacrifice. There are certain sorrows that are self- caused; the Holy Spirit comforts us in such also (John 14:18).
That is why I have good news for anyone who may have made several mistakes in the past: the Holy Spirit will wipe your tears and give you a fresh start in the mighty name of Jesus.
The fire also consumed the dust. Humans are made out of dust (Genesis 2:7). The dust represents human flesh. One of the names of the Holy Spirit is the Transformer as we see in (1 Kings 18:46):
“And the hand of the Lord was on Elijah; and he girded up his loins, and ran before Ahab to the entrance of Jezreel.”
When the Hand of God (another name of the Holy Spirit) came upon Elijah, he became stronger and faster than chariots drawn by horses. He was transformed. In Judges 15:14-15, we see the Holy Spirit transform the jaw bone of an ass into a weapon of warfare. Romans 8:11 says:
“But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken you mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.”
When the fire of the Holy Ghost comes on you, you no longer live by the flesh but by the Spirit. The moment you are baptized by the Holy Ghost and fire, you become transformed. May you experience the transforming fire of the Holy Spirit, in the mighty name of Jesus.
ACTION POINT: Make time to pray in the Holy Ghost for at least one hour today.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Deuteronomy 32-34
Thanks for reading Open Heaven 21st March 2020 Devotional – The Fire 3, written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye. Please share this with others.