Open Heaven 7 December 2019 – What type of Shepherd, written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye
TOPIC: What type of Shepherd
MEMORISE: “But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.” – (2 Timothy 4:5)
READ: Acts 20:28-35 (KJV)
28. Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
31. Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.
32. And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.
33. I have coveted no man’s silver, or gold, or apparel.
34. Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me.
35. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
MESSAGE: Open Heaven 7 December 2019
A careful study of God’s word reveals three categories of shepherds. There are bad shepherds whose defining trait is feeding on the sheep. These are unrepentant agents of the devil, who are actually wolves in sheep’s clothing. The Holy Spirit describes them as ruthless grievous wolves in today’s Bible reading, and God’s judgment is declared against them in Jeremiah 23:1-2.
The second category of shepherds are those referred to as hirelings by the Lord (John 10:12-13). Shepherds in this category see their assignment as a form of business through which their daily bread is guaranteed. They have little or no commitment to their sheep, and so their productivity is very low. Lastly, we have the good shepherds, whose lives and attitude to the assignment of overseeing God’s sheep are modeled after the Good Shepherd Himself.
As expressed in John 10:11-14, God has clearly showed His preference and desire for good shepherds.
Has God called you into a spiritual office in His Church, or are you in a position where your decision affect the destiny of many people? God is saying to you today that your call to that office is not for the purpose of accumulating titles or enjoying a privileged position only. You are actually called to serve God. You are called to be a blessing to others by the workings of God’s gift in your life. Today, it is evident that some people are not utilizing the spiritual office they occupy for the benefit of God’s kingdom. If you have been called as a pastor, your responsibility is to care for the physical and spiritual needs of the Church of God you oversee.
Are you an evangelist, a preacher or a messenger of the true gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ? You ought to declare the entire counsel of God at all times, knowing well that we live in times when many people are departing from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and various doctrines of the devil. The word of the Lord in your mouth should not be watered down under any circumstance.
Today: Open Heaven 7 December 2019 by Pastor E. A. Adeboye
Also, as a teacher of the word, you have been gifted by the Holy Spirit to explain God’s word in order to build and equip the Church. You are to communicate biblical truth effectively to the understanding of your hearers. Are you occupying the office of a prophet? Then, declare the word of God to the people with boldness. Spiritual offices are meant to complement one another in edifying the body of Christ.
These offices are meant to work together for the unity of the church, so that God’s people can become well-grounded in the full knowledge of God. Every good shepherd will be handsomely rewarded, because our God does not owe any man (1 Corinthians 15:58). You will not lose your reward in Jesus’ Name.
PRAYER POINT: Father, help me to model my service after the Good Shepherd, in Jesus’ Name.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Psalm 88-91, Habakkuk 2:2-20
Thanks for studying Open Heaven 7 December 2019 – What type of Shepherd, written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye. Please share this with other people.