Open Heaven 17 October 2019 – Give Caesar What Belongs To Him! Written By Pastor E. A. Adeboye
TODAY’S TOPIC: GIVE CAESAR WHAT BELONGS TO HIM!
MEMORISE: “And Jesus answering said unto them, render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s. And they marvelled at him.” – (Mark 12:17)
READ: Romans 13:1-7 (KJV)
1. Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God; the powers that be are ordained of God.
2. Whosoever, therefore, resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God; and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
3. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same;
4. For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain; for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
5. Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
6. For for this cause pay ye tribute also; for they are God’s ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
7. Render therefore to all their dues; tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.
MESSAGE: Open Heaven 17 October 2019
There are some characters that portray children of God in a bad light today. For example, some of us want to enjoy social amenities provided by government, but don’t want to pay tax. Those who manifest such behaviors only want to reap where they did not sow. Contrary to this, Paul admonished us in today’s bible reading to be patriotic enough to pay our taxes and perform other civic responsibilities that are expected of us. Our obedience to civic laws should not be by coercion but voluntary, as unto the Lord. The Holy Spirit describes those who are in authority as ministers of God, looking out for our own good (Romans 13:4).
It is therefore surprising that some Christians despise their political leaders through their “holier-than-thou” attitude. Christians who defrauds the government by not paying their tax are no better than the government officials whom they despise for stealing government funds. They will all definitely be judged according to their evil deeds on the last day. A government worker who is expected to put in eight hours of work but does just three and uses the rest for his or her personal activities is as guilty as those who loot the government treasury with the pen. As an employee, do you really work for the expected amount for which you are been paid?
- Today: Open Heaven 17 October 2019 By Pastor E. A. Adeboye
What do you understand from what the Lord is saying in today’s memory verse? Many people erroneously think giving to Caesar what belong to Caesar means bribing their way into Caesar’s favour. This is not true! Caesar takes receipted tributes, such as taxes, dues and levies and not bribes. When you pay your taxes, God is happy with you because you are contributing to the wellbeing of the community you live in. This does not however exempt you from paying your tithes, offerings, and first fruit to God. Caesar does not take tithes and offerings, but he must also not be denied his dues and taxes for the construction of roads, bridges and other social amenities.
Notwithstanding, let it not surprise you as I say today that if you pay your tithes and offerings but default in paying taxes, you are guilty of reaping where you did not sow when you enjoy social amenities being provided by the government you refuse to pay taxes to. If you are guilty of this, repent today and begin to go the extra mile of giving back to your community through Christian social responsibility (CSR).
PRAYER POINT: Father, give me all I need to play my role in the society and in Your house, through the payment and my taxes to the government and my tithe and offerings to You.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: 2 Chronicles 11-13, Revelation 12
Thanks for reading Open Heaven 17 October 2019 – Give Caesar What Belongs To Him! Written By Pastor E. A. Adeboye. Please share with others the gospel of Jesus Christ