Connect with us

Latest News

Bayelsa threatens to sue Buhari over $1bn security fund

Published

on

Bayelsa State Government on Saturday threatened to drag the Buhari Government to court if it refuses to deduct the 13 percent derivation component of the $1 billion Excess Crude Account (ECA) it plans to withdraw to tackle insecurity in the country.

Commissioner for Information, Daniel Iworiso-Markson, in a statement said that the State Government was insisting that the 13 percent derivation component of the money must be deducted and sent to the various oil producing states in the Federation as earlier demanded.

Iworiso-Markson quoted Governor Seriake Dickson as having explained that withdrawing the $1 billion without deducting and paying the 13 percent derivation to the oil-producing states would amount to arm twisting them to make double contributions to the security funds.

The governor said that wholesome withdrawal of the funds inclusive of the 13 percent derivation would mean that the oil producing states would be making double contributions because they would be contributing their allocations like all other states and then the 13 percent derivation constitutionally provided for, to address security and other pressing needs in the states.

Governor Seriake Dickson had demanded that the 13 percent derivation component of the funds be deducted and deployed in the oil-producing states to address the peculiar security challenges in the region.

The state government has also formally presented its position to the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, who is also the Chairman of the National Economic Council NEC).

Dickson had earlier called the attention of the Vice President, Osinbajo, to the position of the State Government on the proposed withdrawal of the ECA funds last December.

The governor had stressed that while Bayelsa was not opposed to the withdrawal of the funds to enhance national security, “the utilization of the funds involving the armed forces, intelligence services and police must cover every part of the country.”

The Commissioner said, “The Bayelsa State Government will approach the court to enforce deduction of the 13 percent derivation component from the $1 billion ECA funds which the Federal Government claims it plans to withdraw to tackle insecurity.

“We have held meetings with the Vice President, President Yemi Osinbajo, on this issue. We even backed it up with a formal letter to the President through the Vice President which was taken to Abuja by His Excellency, the Deputy Governor and delivered by hand to the Vice President to underscore the importance we attach to the issue in question.

“Our position remains the same: while the state government is not opposing the planned withdrawal of the funds for security and indeed the general well-being of the society, it would be unfair and unjust to pull out the funds without releasing the 13 percent to the oil- producing states.

“An arrangement that compels a group of states to contribute twice to the fund while their counterparts contribute only part of their statutory allocation cannot be said to be just. The constitution is clear on this and we shall approach the court to advocate our position.

“For the purpose of emphasis, Bayelsa has formally notified the Vice President who is Chairman of the National Economic Council on this matter.

“That Bayelsa is in support of the withdrawal of the funds to improve the capacity of the Armed Forces and Security Agencies to protect Nigeria and her citizens is not in doubt but we are insisting that the right thing must be done.”
Dailypost

Facebook Comments

Foreign News

New accuser claims Brett Kavanaugh put his private part in her face at Yale

Published

on

By

New accuser claims Brett Kavanaugh put his private part in her face at Yale
A new woman has accused Judge Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault. The new accuser claims Kavanaugh exposed himself without her consent during their college years at Yale.

The New Yorker published a bombshell story on Sunday ahead of Kavanaugh’s Thursday hearing in D.C., where he’s already set to face-off against Christine Blasey Ford who has accused him of a sexual assault when they were both in high school.

The sexual assault claims brought against Brett Kavanaugh led to the Twitter hashtag #WhyIDidn’tReport after US President Donald Trump defended him and asked his accuser why she didn’t speak up years ago (read here).

In the latest accusation made against Brett Kavanaugh, a woman named Deborah Ramirez claims Kavanaugh put his exposed penis in her face at a dorm party during their freshman year at Yale sometime between 1983 and ’84. She says she got drunk during a drinking game, and that at one point a male classmate (not Kavanaugh) pointed a dildo at her.

In this new story, written by Ronan Farrow and Jane Mayer, the woman says soon after she was on the floor, foggy and slurring her words when she says she remembers seeing a real penis smack dab in her face. She tells the New Yorker she recalls other students telling her to kiss it. Ramirez says she pushed the person away, touching the penis in the process, and then saw Kavanaugh standing next to her, pulling his pants up and laughing.

She says she also remembers another student shouting down the hall, “Brett Kavanaugh just put his penis in Debbie’s face.” Ramirez says she specifically remembers hearing his full name.

Ramirez admits that parts of her memory on the alleged incident are fuzzy, but the New Yorker notes “After six days of carefully assessing her memories and consulting with her attorney” Ramirez felt confident in the details of her story.

As for Kavanaugh, he tells the New Yorker:

This alleged event from 35 years ago did not happen. The people who knew me then know that this did not happen, and have said so. This is a smear, plain and simple. I look forward to testifying on Thursday about the truth, and defending my good name–and the reputation for character and integrity I have spent a lifetime building–against these last-minute allegations.

A White House spokesperson also expressed support for Kavanaugh.

Kavanaugh is still waiting to be confirmed to the Supreme Court as President Trump’s latest nominee.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Foreign News

Golf Legend Tiger Woods Clinches His First Tournament Win After Five Years

Published

on

By

Golf Legend Tiger Woods Clinches His First Tournament Win After Five Years

Golf legend, Tiger Woods has won the 2018 Tour Championship and his 80th on the PGA title, just when many experts believed that his career was finished.

Woods has overcome personal struggles and four back surgeries to secure his victory. This will be his first victory since 2013.

After winning he said: “I loved every minute of it the fight and the grind.

“I was having a hard time not crying at the last hole, once I got the ball on the green I knew I could handle it from there.”

His present girlfriend Erica Herman, was on hand to celebrate the heroic achievement with him.

Golf Legend Tiger Woods Clinches His First Tournament Win After Five Years

Golf Legend Tiger Woods Clinches His First Tournament Win After Five Years

Golf Legend Tiger Woods Clinches His First Tournament Win After Five Years

Golf Legend Tiger Woods Clinches His First Tournament Win After Five Years

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending