SAD – The death of five children in the Mpape area of Abuja on April 1, 2017 was due to an explosion from a fuel container that was taken into the apartment where the deceased victims resided, the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company has said.
AEDC, in a statement signed by its Head of Public Relations and Media, Mr. Ahmed Shekarau, sympathised with the family of the deceased.
It stated that the report of a preliminary investigation carried out by a fact-finding team on Monday, April 3, 2017, revealed that the accident was caused by an explosion from a fuel container taken into the room where the inferno occurred.
According to the statement, the mother of the five deceased children had sent one of her kids to buy petrol for use in their generator, because at that time, the area had no power supply due to load shedding.
The report noted that upon return, the child took the fuel into the room where the five children were sleeping.
“Because of the saturation of petrol fumes in that room, when the woman lit up a match stick in order to light up a mosquito coil in a bid to wade off mosquitoes, the flame ignited an explosion which engulfed the room,” it added.