It has been revealed that the fire incident which occurred on Saturday evening at Makoko area of Lagos State has left several saddened as it claimed the life of a seven-day-old baby.
The fire incident which also claimed properties including copies of West African Senior School Certificate Examination results was reported to have started due to negligence and carelessness of the resident of the house.
According to reports, the mother of the late seven days old baby left what she was cooking unattended to leading to the fire incident.
A firefighter who spoke to Punch Metro said:
“We gathered that a woman was cooking food; she left the place and forgot it. The fire started from there and razed a lot of makeshift structures to the ground.
“In the confusion that greeted the incident, the parents of the child left him inside the house. By the time they remembered that he was in the house and tried to rescue him, it was too late. The child had been burnt to death. He was supposed to be named today (Sunday).
“Four fire trucks from the Lagos State Fire Service responded to a distress call from the area and put out the fire in the early hours of Sunday.”