It is heartbreaking! Badly disfigured bodies of 21 young women and one man, including Nigerians who died in the Mediterranean Sea were recovered from rubber boats on Wednesday.
The search and rescue vessel run in partnership between Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) and SOS MEDITERRANEE also rescued 209 people from the dinghies. The rescued include two pregnant women and 50 children, of whom 45 were travelling without parents or guardians.
The bodies were brought to port of Trapani, Sicily on Friday, July 2 as fellow migrants described scenes of panic and violence when water poured into their dinghy. Some survivors had bite marks, testimony to a desperate struggle onboard to escape death.
Erna Rijnierse, an MSF doctor who was aboard the rescue ship, the MV Aquarius, said there was an eerie silence when they neared the dinghy and it was obvious there had been a struggle.
“You can tell it from the nail scratches on people’s arms and legs, but also we had 10 people with human bites on arms, a back and also on the lower back and ankles,” she said.
Mary told MSF she had been held in prison in Libya – immigrants are often arrested there – for two months before finding a place on the dinghy. Rijnierse said she believed many of the victims had been detained prior to the trip and were too weak to fight their way off the floor.
“They rape there. They are looking for young girls, you cannot say no, they have guns, shout, speak in their language,” Mary said, describing her ordeal in the prison before she managed to escape and meet up with her husband.
Another Nigerian survivor, a 30-year-old man called David, urged would-be migrants not to make the journey.
“Taking the boat is very dangerous. That is the truth,” he said, adding: “I feel bad about the women who died. It wasn’t supposed to happen.” he said.
Nearly 3,000 migrants and refugees have died in the Mediterranean Sea this year while trying to reach Europe – three quarters of them en route from north Africa to Italy, the International Organization for Migration said on Friday. Just over 80,000 people, mainly from Africa, have reached Italy since Jan. 1, more or less in line with last year’s numbers, according to official figures.
Source: MSF/REUTERS/UNHCR Italia